Mamoru-kun has been cursed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mamoru-kun has been cursed!

I've had an hour or two with this and it seems pretty fun.

The game controls much like Guwange. There are two buttons; shot (hold to strafe) and noroi, which when charged fires a ring of fire. You can hold the B button down to charge your noroi shot to increase its power and radius and when released it fires forward until it hits and locks on to an enemy. It then seems to drain the enemy and restrict its shots before releasing what look like little marshmallow thingies you absorb for points. You can also get combos for anything that strays into the circle. If you simply press B, you drop a noroi thingy in front of you which you can walk into, giving you increased shot power for as long as it lasts. Interestingly the game scrolls as you move so theres also a timer. Not your average STG then.

The game has 5 characters with different speeds and shot types. In Arcade mode you can select your stage order as well as a "how to play" tutorial or prologue. Theres also a Story mode in which you use all 5 characters, each with one life, and play the levels in order with kawaii story boards. Theres a practice mode and all the usual options. Theres a fairly long load screen at the start but its not bad at all from there on.

Graphically it's not one of the prettiest Naomi titles. Methinks Gulti did the engine. It's nice and colourful though and there are some nice wallpapers. I'm almost ashamed to say I quite like the character art.

So I'm quite enjoying it. It's a bit like Guwange kids, its all very cute, fun to play and the noroi thing is an original twist, although I'm not sure I fully understand it yet. The game actually throws a lot of bullets at you if you don't keep on top of things, which is good. It's one for the Otomedius fans though. I wouldn't take it too seriously as a scorer shmup. The superplay shows how the staggered-scrolling leads to some silly score milking.
    Last edited by Super Monkey Balls; 26-06-2009, 16:10.

Interesting. I saw people on shmups likening it to Kiki Kaikai and that makes a lot more sense now that you've described the scrolling situation.

I could've put up with the theme of Otomedius if it weren't for the dull patterns, whereas this seems to be a lot more danmaku-inspired - fair observation you think?

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
      for the dull patterns, whereas this seems to be a lot more danmaku-inspired - fair observation you think?
      I think so.

Comment

I'm really enjoying this,it's a nice change of pace from death-smiles.
        Not really getting my head round the timer strategy though,it's ran down to zero in arcade mode and nothing bad happened?
        Also what are the flames for in the timer window?
        Not really seeing the gunwange comparisons though,the art style of the enemies is really nice and I think the gfx are great,love the battleships full of fish and taking a ride on the back of giant stingray!

Gameplay wise I'm using the dual stick method (push in any given direction to fire) which i'm finding easier than the under defeat style default control.
        Early stages kinda lull you into a false sense of security as bullets are resonably easy to dodge but it can go 'bullet hell' it gets hard quick for sure.

In short I'm really pleased with this and it's a great addition to the 360 shmup library.
        Worth a look for sure.

Comment

what is the scoring hook ? if there is one

Comment

The scoring hook (as far as I can tell so far) goes like this:
            As you use your Noroi (power bomb?) it creates a circle around the targeted enemy,the longer you hold the noroi button the wider the encirclement.
            When the enemy is captured it (and any other enemies that are within this circle) yields crystals which score you points but also keep a combo meter running,if you can move onto the next phase of enemies you can chain the combo meter,so a bit like DDP but much more forgiving.

Comment

I caved and bought the LE

Comment

Why the sadness?
                it's a **** load better than the death smiles LE.

Comment

Because it's the 2nd of the month and I'm broke
                  Last edited by fuse; 02-07-2009, 13:48. Reason: durr, grammar is tuff

Comment

heh good lad!

Comment

What's in the LE? I bought it, and had no idea what it actually contained...

Comment

OST + Superplay DVD

Comment

Where did you order the LE from if you dont mind me asking???

Comment

Bought it from a chap over at Shmups, $91 posted

Comment

Still haven't tried this but the Superplay DVD & OST is one of those INH jobs called "The Perfect Terror" and comes in a seperate amaray DVD case. Something that would probably sell for at least ?20 on its own so the price premium can at least be justified (unlike DeathSmiles).

Comment

Working...
                              X